When you decide to develop and publish a blog on the internet, you’ll need a blog host.
What Is a Blog Host?
A blog host is a company that provides the space on its servers and equipment to store your blog. This makes the blog accessible online to anyone.
Typically, a blog host provider charges a fee to store your blog on its server. Although there are some free blog hosting companies, those services are often limited. Established blogging hosts provide a variety of ancillary services. Some blog hosts also provide blogging software.
First, Get a Domain
If you haven’t purchased a domain name for your blog, select a blog hosting company that provides domain services and blog hosting services. Some blog hosting companies include a free domain for one year with the purchase of web or blog hosting.
When you use the same company for your domain and blog hosting services, you won’t need to transfer or connect your domain name to a different blog hosting company. You’ll use one company for all your blogging services.
What to Look for in a Blog Host?
If the provider offers several levels of service, examine the features, then choose the package that best meets your needs. If you aren’t sure, choose the company’s basic plan. If you change your mind, you can upgrade the package.
Some of the features to look for in a blog host include:
- A free or low-cost domain name (or a company that allows you to use a domain you purchased from another company).
- 24/7 customer support.
- Free site builder software (unless you build your site elsewhere and then upload it to the blog host’s platform).
- An SSL certificate (for security).
- Email accounts and the storage amount in email accounts.
- The amount of storage space for your blog on the server. Blogs aren’t usually huge files, so you may not need unlimited space. However, the service provider will upgrade your plan to accommodate for more space if you ask.
Check out our list of the best cheap web hosting providers.